As Technical Person we do regularly follow any of these 8 steps to fix or solve any computer problems reported. First will do basic level troubleshooting in which most cases problems get fixed and resolve the case. Below mention steps any one follow up and fix your computer without any Technical person help
- 1 Clean up your Computer temporary files, cached files and unwanted Registry Entries.
- 2 Disk Defragment and Optimize Drive
- 3 Update your Computer hardware drivers to Latest Version
- 4 Patch your Computer to latest Microsoft Windows update patches.
- 5 Restore Windows to Previous state through System Restore.
- 6 Running System File Checker Scan
- 7 Boot your computer in Safe Mode
- 8 Reset Windows 10 to defaults
Clean up your Computer temporary files, cached files and unwanted Registry Entries.
Windows Creates temporary files on your computer when you install any applications and these files are not removed once installation completes, but they stay in your computer and takes up your hard disk space.you can get Blue screen errors or windows dump errors.
- Windows 10 has built in tool to cleanup temporary files : In your computer, Type in disk cleanup in search bar.
- Click on Disk Clean up app
- Select temporary files
- Click OK
- Now the tool will remove all the temporary files on your PC.
- Command line method to run Temporary files clean: Press Windows Key + R and enter cleanmgr /d c: /sageset:9999 Click OK
- Select temporary files
- Click OK
If you do not like Manually doing disk cleanup, then you can choose these tools like CCleaner,Ashampoo WinOptimize. CCleaner is very powerful and free tool which helps in fixing most of your computer problem and has been using this for years now.
Disk Defragment and Optimize Drive
- In Search bar type in Defragment and Optimize Drives
- Select the disk drive C
- Click on Optimize
- You can schedule this on monthly basis
Update your Computer hardware drivers to Latest Version
Go to your PC manufacturer website, Key in your serial number of your computer. The site should bring up the details of your computer. Download the latest drivers and install it
Note: The most important drivers would update is BIOS, Chipset drivers, network card drivers, Wireless drivers,Power management tools.
If you have Dell laptop, you can download a tool called supportAssist. Tool will scan your current drivers and match against listed drivers from the Dell site., provide information which are critical drivers that need to update immediately. Support Assist will download the drivers and install it automatically. In Lenova it is called Lenovo System Update: Update Drivers, BIOS and Applications
Patch your Computer to latest Microsoft Windows update patches.
- Patch your Windows machine to latest updates, which will fixes bugs and security vulnerability.
- Type in search bar Windows update
- Click on check for update
Restore Windows to Previous state through System Restore.
After apply patches or any software installation that caused an abrupt errors, degrading the system.
then restore the computer to previous state choosing the best restore point through System Restore.
- Type in search bar “ThisPC”
- Click on properties > System Protection > system Restore > Next >
- In this Window choose different restore point > Click Next
This will take time to restore Windows to previous state and system will get restart several times.
Running System File Checker Scan
- Type in search bar Command Prompt and run as Administrator
- In Command Prompt Window type in sfc/scannow
- Press Enter
This will do the system file check on your windows OS and fixes any issues with it.
once done, Restart your computer.
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.867]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Boot your computer in Safe Mode
In Safe Mode the computer boots up with Minimal files and drivers, if your PC boots up normal in Safe mode then any application and driver should be causing the problem to normal boot up and system performance.
- To boot the computer in safe mode:
- Type in Search bar system configuration, app opens up
- click on Boot tab
- check the box safe boot option
- restart the computer
- The computer will boot in safe mode
When you are in safe mode, you need uncheck the box safe boot option for the computer to boot in normal mode.
Reset Windows 10 to defaults
If you have blue screen errors or computer does not recover from above steps, final option is Reset Windows 10 to defaults.
Recovery is a built in feature in Windows 10 that reset your Windows 10 to defaults.
All the changes made by you will reset on Windows. you have two options one to Recover Windows without losing your data another option is to complete wipe of data and reset Windows 10, which will be like a fresh installation.
Check the step by step to reset Windows 10
The above mention steps are the standard troubleshooting steps carry out by a Technical person and can Solve any Computer Problems. Most computer problems gets fixed in between step 1 to 5 Mentioned above.
Please comment to know If the steps above helped to resolve the problem or failed to solve your computer problem. Give us more details in the comment section below and we’ll try to help you.
Find More Inside Geekyhowto.com